Prep time: About 10 minutes
Cooking time: About 20 to 25 minutes
Calories per serving: 200 (based on 24 squares)
When I got fresh corn from my step kids’ mom recently, my immediate thought was to make some nice, yummy cornbread. I also started missing the corn muffins that I used to get at Kenny Rogers’ Roasters when I was still living in the Philippines. That definitely reinforced my craving for some good corn bread.
Cornbread can be a snack or side – it’s really up to you. Making this is also quick and easy. The folks who tried them gave good reviews so I guarantee it will be a hit 😉
You also would need very few ingredients. Here they are:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup corn meal
4 eggs, yolks separated from the whites
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
¾ cup honey
½ cup granulated sugar
1 ½ tbsp baking powder
½ can cream corn
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Combine the egg yolks, milk, butter, honey and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk.
- Gradually add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated. I used a wooden spoon to do this job. Add the cream corn and mix well, but be careful to not over mix.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. I used my electric mixer to make this easier. The peaks will form in about 5 minutes using a mixer, could be double that if you are doing it manually.
- Fold in the egg white mixture onto the batter. I found that the wooden spoon worked really well in making sure the batter is mixed just right.
- Finally, pour the batter onto a greased 9×13 inch baking pan and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. The top should ideally be lightly brown.
I don’t know about you, but I think it’s best to serve cornbread warm. I usually let it cool for about 7 to 10 minutes before slicing into serving pieces. Trust me, the cream corn does add a nice texture and dimension to this classic favorite.
I’ve had these with coffee as a snack and it was fantastic. Have it your way 😉
Eat well and be well. – Ella Bella