Prep time: About 10 minutes
Cooking time: About 30 minutes on stove top; 8 hours on slow cooker
Calories per serving: Only 246 cals each (based on 8 servings)
Bidding winter adieu is no problem with this chowder 🙂 Yeah, my version is slightly pink. The pink color actually comes from the beets, not any kind of food coloring.
This recipe is easy to do, too! It’s still pretty cool here in the east coast (about 43 degrees F, 6 degrees C) this afternoon, so of course chowder will be one of the most comforting foods you can count on.
Here are the ingredients:
1 lb clams (halaan), fresh preferred
2 cups clam juice (from the bottle or you may also use the broth of the simmered clams if using fresh ones)
1 cup Beets, cut into cubes
Small cabbage, shredded
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflower, sliced into bite-sized pieces
2 cups winter squash, cubed
1 quart half and half
1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsps cold water
Seasalt to taste
Black pepper to taste
½ of a medium onion, cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1) If using fresh clams, cook them in simmering water with a bit of sea salt for about 10 minutes. The shells will open up. That’s how you know they are done. Let cool for a few minutes. Save 2 cups of the clam juice then drain the rest. Remove the clam meat from each shell and put them in a bowl and set aside.
2) In a large pot, sauté the garlic and onion. Add the clam broth, then the beets and squash.
3) Add in the clams, then the half and half and let simmer on low for about 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. 10 minutes into it, add the broccoli florets and cauliflower.
4) Add the cornstarch and keep simmering on low until the soup thickens, about 5 to 7 minutes. The chowder should be done when the veggies are no longer raw.
5) Garnish with chopped scallions and serve with oyster crackers or a slice of French bread.
See? I wasn’t kidding when I said it was easy.
Pro tip: Chowder can also be done in the slow cooker for a maximum of 8 hours on low. All you need to do is combine all the ingredients together and set on low.
Eat well and be well. – Ella Bella