Prep time: About 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Calories per serving: Only 137 cals per serving (based on 4 servings)
Tofu has been one of my go to non-meat protein. I know it’s the holidays, but such is exactly why I wanted to make a low calorie meal. As we all know, a balanced diet is key to a healthy lifestyle.
To quote womansday.com, “Aside from the nutritional benefits, tofu can be a major boost to your weight–loss plan.”
This recipe is so easy to put together. It also very tasty, and the amount of spiciness can be adjusted according to your preference.
Here are the ingredients that you will need:
1 package Nasoya – Lite Firm Tofu, cut into bite-size cubes
1 medium egg plant, cubed, about ½ inch each
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small yellow onion, sliced for sautéing
½ of a large bell pepper (I used green), about 1 cup, cubed
3 tbps red curry paste (I used Maesri brand, use less for a less spicy taste)
2 tbsp lemon grass sauce (I used Lee Kum Kee’s, a tablespoon would also do the trick)
Sesame seeds for garnish, optional
1) In a large wok, turn up the heat to medium high with about a tablespoon of olive or canola oil.
2) When it’s hot enough (about 2 minutes), add the garlic and sauté for a few minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Add the onions and sauté them together. Bring down the heat to medium.
3) Add in the cubed tofu and sauté for about 5 minutes. Adjust the heat if necessary. Make sure you mix them just enough so that they do not stick to the pan, but that they do not break into pieces.
4) Next, add about a tablespoon of water to the red curry paste. Add the lemon grass sauce to this mixture as well. Pour the mixture onto the tofu mixture and simmer for about 3 minutes on medium.
5) Add the eggplant and green pepper pieces and keep simmering for another 5 minutes.
6) Serve warm. You may serve it over warm rice or eat it by itself. Enjoy it!
Note: I am the only one in the family who likes tofu, boooo. Anyway, more for me, right? I refrigerated my leftovers and they tasted even better the next day or two.
Pro-tip: Warm up a bowl of it in the microwave for about 1 ½ minutes.
Eat well and be well. – Ella Bella