Prep Time: About 10 to 15 minutes
Baking Time (for the Pound Cake): 50 to 60 minutes
Waiting time (if using Pound Cake mix): about 30 minutes then at least one hour of chilling time
Calories per bar: 339
So I’ve been craving Tiramisu for more than a week now. I have to say, I’m proud of resisting the urge to go for the store-bought ones! I really feel like I’m in control of what I eat when I make it.
I’ve looked into several recipes online and decided to make Tiramisu bars using pound cake. I found a box of Betty Crocker Pound Cake mix and decided to go for it!
This is another quick and easy (and tasty) recipe and if you’re craving Tiramisu, this is definitely a healthier choice.
And now for the ingredients…
Betty Crocker Recipe – Pound Cake, 0.75 of the loaf
One 8 oz box 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese (a.k.a. Neufchatel Cheese), softened
¾ cup Confectioners (Powdered) Sugar
1 tbsp Bailey’s – Irish Creme Liqueur
1 packet Folgers – Classic Roast – Instant Coffee (Single Serve Packet
½ cup Brewed Coffee – Black, No Sugar (cooled down)
2 tbsps Baking Cocoa (unsweetened cocoa)
Heath Toffee Bits, about ¼ cup
How to Make the Bars:
- Bake the Pound Cake based on package instructions. Cool it down for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Meanwhile, grab a medium mixing bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sugar, coffee granules and Irish Crème Liquer on low with a hand mixer. If you don’t have a hand mixer, mixing the ingredient well with a spatula until the mixture is fluffy would also work. Set aside.
- When the cake is ready, slice it into one inch slices. Line them up on a baking pan, preferably one with a lid. You might need to cut some of the pieces to make them line up evenly.
- Drizzle the cake pieces with brewed coffee.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the cake until they’re evenly covered. Drizzle with cocoa and Heath Bits. Chill for at least an hour. Slice into 15 and enjoy with family and friends!
I tried looking up the calories for the store-bought Tiramisu and found this interesting info. Feel free to check it out: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/tiramisu-calories.html